Hunterdon Medical Center
Pegasus Emergency Group has been at HMC since 1996. Since we began working with the hospital, Emergency Department volume has doubled to approximately 35,000 annual visits. Pegasus has developed an excellent working relationship with HMC administration, and our team members hold a variety of HMC committee and community leadership positions. These include:
- President-Elect Medical Staff (2013)
- Mobile Intensive Care Unit (MICU) Director
- Director of Occupational Health
- Hospital Needs Committee
- Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee
- Clinical Management Committee
- Patient Flow Committee
- Six Sigma Project
- Area school boards and other volunteer roles
- Pegasus Emergency Group has been selected 14 years in a row(2009-2022) for the Best of Flemington Awards for Medical Services Organization.
Over the past several years, Pegasus Emergency Group has worked with the administrative team to:
- July 2016 partnered with Hunterdon Healthcare to provide physician staffing for Hunterdon Urgent Care centers.
- Consistently achieve Press Ganey patient satisfaction scores in the 90 to 99th percentile.
- Design a new, cutting-edge department with 22 private treatment rooms.
- Increase physician and mid-level provider hours to meet growing department needs.
- Implement a fully electronic medical record (EMR) and computerized physician order entry system.
- Supervise four mobile intensive care units (MICU) that serve Hunterdon and Warren Counties.
- Become a Primary Stroke Center.
- Continually earn among the fastest door-to-balloon heart attack treatment times in the state (under 60 minutes) since becoming a Primary Angioplasty Center.
- Implement a scribe program to (1) improve emergency care provider efficiency, (2) improve documentation, (3) and consistently achieve 100% compliance with the Center for Medicare Services core measures (pneumonia, myocardial infarction and stroke care).
- Provide high quality education to Family Medicine residents, resulting in “Physician Teacher of the Year” awards for numerous members of the Pegasus team.
Pegasus Emergency Group began working at Meadowlands in December 2010 when the hospital was sold to private investors and went on to manage the Emergency Department for 3 years. Before Pegasus joined the MHMC team, the Emergency Department suffered from long waits and inefficiency, poor Press Ganey scores (below the 50th percentile), no electronic medical records (EMR), inconsistent leadership, high left-without-being-seen (LWBS) rates, declining patient volume (approximately 15,000/year), and a poor community reputation.
During our 3 years at MHMC, Pegasus developed an excellent relationship with the owners, administration, radiology department and new residents. As a result of this collaboration, MHMC ED became one of the hospital’s strongest departments. Dedicated to the safety and health of our community, we helped to create two satellite EDs during Superstorm Sandy and Hurricane Irene. MHMC was the only ED open in Hudson County during Hurricane Sandy.
During our three years managing the Emergency Department , the Pegasus team:
- Established an excellent group of emergency medicine board-certified physicians, emergency physician assistants and scribes.
- Created an EMR template and improved its efficiency through the use of scribes.
- Developed a computerized physician order entry system.
- Improved Press Ganey scores by 400%.
- Reduced arrival-to-provider time to less than 30 minutes and lowered LBWS rates to less than 1%.
- Increased ED volume growth by 30% to 20,000 patients/year.
- Developed an excellent reputation within the community.
- Hired a fellowship-trained EMS director and developed a specialty care transport unit (SCTU) for the local community.
- Provided high-quality training for residents and medical students from Touro School of Medicine during their emergency department rotations.